AUTUMN BEEF AND CIDER STEW
Enjoy this rich and savory stew on a cold Autumn night with a
loaf of crusty bread and a fine red wine.
Comfort food at its finest.
- 2 pounds Double Red SELECTION™ beef stew meat cut into 1- to 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 10 1/2 ounces condensed French onion soup
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened dried cranberries
- Cook bacon in stockpot over medium heat until crisp; remove with slotted spoon to a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Brown half of the beef in bacon drippings over medium heat; remove from stockpot.
- Repeat with remaining beef, and season with salt and pepper.
- Return beef and bacon to stockpot. Add soup and apple cider; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover tightly and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add sweet potatoes and cranberries to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; continue simmering, covered, 20 to 30 minutes or until beef and potatoes are fork tender.